Dinas is a small village of about 1000 inhabitants that is situated entirely within the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park. There is a petrol station with a shop and post office as well as a well stocked mini-market, two chapels and three pubs. The A 487 goes through the village from Fishguard, four miles to the west, to Newport, three miles to the east.
Most of the old houses in the village are small. There are farmhouses surrounded by few acres and fishermen’s cottages but there is a significant number of grander residences, built at the beginning of the 20th Century by sea captains. Dinas had an extraordinary number of master mariners, many of whom worked at sea until they had saved £2,000. They then returned home, built a fine house and lived comfortably in retirement.