This lovely stoneware flagon hasn’t travelled far since it was filled by George Bennett’s wine and spirit business in the 19th century.
George Bennett and Co started life when George married Elizabeth Davies, the daughter of the landlord of the Red Lion in Fishguard. James Davies had opened the pub in 1826 and then expanded it into a successful wine and spirits business. George Bennett eventually took over from his father-in-law and traded successfully for 40 years.
The Red Lion was refurbished in 1932 and became known as Bennett’s Lion Hotel. The name changed yet again in the 1960s when it became known as Bennett’s wine bar, run by the fourth and fifth generations of the family
The pub is now known as Bennett’s Navy Tavern and no longer has any connection to the Bennett family.