Tegfan is within a few hundred yards of the coast path, which provides wonderful walking at any time of the year. The scenery, the flowers, the sky and the sea change from month to month to enchant and delight.
It was recognition of Pembrokeshire’s spectacular coastline that led to the establishment of the National Park in 1952, and the path was planned so that the public could enjoy the dramatic landscape. Ronald Lockley, author and naturalist, who farmed on Dinas Island during the second World War, was asked to recommend a route for the new path and, inspite of his reluctance to allow the public too close to precious bird nesting sites, a cliff-top route was approved by the Countryside Commission in 1953.
Once the path had been planned on paper it was the job of the Pembrokeshire County Council surveyors at Crymych to walk the route, check its viability on the ground and to negotiate with the farmers who owned the land. From 1957 onwards, one of the cartographers responsible for the work was the Dinas potter, Len Rees, who had been languishing with the Ordnance Survey in Chessington and couldn’t believe his luck when a colleague showed him a vacancy for a Welsh speaker in the Council’s surveying department in Crymych.
It was to take seventeen years for the coast path to be completed, with 100 footbridges and 500 stiles over its 200 mile length.
It was opened with a fanfare in 1970.